|TOMCAT MODEL 1000 Drum and Blade|
INSPECT YOUR BLADES FOR 5 MINUTES EACH MORNING
- Check the blades for dullness.
- Inspect the blades for cracks and chips.
- Flip your blades when necessary:
- On a drum-style chipper your blades should last from 20-30 hours per side.
- Disc-style clipper blades should be flipped every 25-30 hours.
- Remove debris that may have become stuck underneath the blade.
- Clean out the pocket with the dull side of the blade before putting the other side down or installing a new blade.
- Ensure the blade is torqued to your specific TOMCAT model.
- Above all make sure that you never run your chipper with a cracked or untightened blade. This is very dangerous and can result in blade breakage or even destroy your Tomcat Chipper.
AVOID CHIPPING DAMAGING MATERIALS
- The type of material chipped will have an influence on the wear of the blades. Try to avoid chipping material that contains rocks, pebbles or even mud.
- Hard wood such as oak or maple dulls the blade quicker than soft wood like pine.
SHARPEN YOUR BLADES REGULARLY
- A blade in good condition can be sharpened up to 8 times per side.
- Do not use a handheld grinder to sharpen blades. Rather use an industrial grinder to ensure an even cutting edge at the correct angle.
- Keep the blades cool during sharpening. If the blades are too hot they could wear out prematurely.
- Check for chips and cracks again before fitting a newly sharpened blade. Even the smallest imperfection can cause blade failure.
CHECK FOR ANVIL CLEARANCE
The anvil is another key component that needs checked on a daily basis.
- Check for anvil clearance every time a blade is changed.
- Proper tolerances between the blade and anvil must be maintained for a smooth chipping process.
- Use the anvil setting tool supplied by us to set the correct distance between the blade and the anvil.
- Our anvils have 4 sides and can be flipped 2-4 times, depending on their condition.
- Ensure that the anvil bolts are properly torqued as specified on the chipper or in the manual.
Simply follow these guidelines and also check your Tomcat Owner Manual, and you will reap the benefits of long-lasting chipper blades and a high quality end product.